Reasons not to use TWiki
So you just finished reading Reasons to use Foswiki
and now you want some ranting? Then you are in the right place.
Top reasons to skip TWiki and upgrade to Foswiki
- TWiki isn't free software any more, although it is formally GPL software.
- TWiki is protected by a trademark. A single company solely owns these trademark rights, not the community.
- The company actively dictates to stakeholders how they are allowed to develop, use or enhance code using the TWiki name.
- All the experienced TWiki core developers moved to Foswiki in October 2008. Those left behind are employees of Twiki, Inc.
- TWiki's development has gone stale. People at the old project hardly understand the code base.
- Users are not upgrading to the next TWiki release. Instead, they are upgrading from TWiki to Foswiki.
- Most plugins hosted on TWiki.org are abandoned by their authors. All former TWiki plugins are continuously maintained upstream on Foswiki.
- There is no community supporting new users on TWiki. If you need support then you have to go to Twiki, Inc. and pay money. Which is what they want you to do.
- The best free TWiki support comes from.... the Foswiki community.
- Major companies, e.g. Yahoo, Motorola, IBM, upgrade from TWiki to Foswiki.
And now you might ask yourself Why This Fork