Foswiki Association Board Meeting Minutes 2010-01-18
- Accept minutes of previous meeting
- CrawfordCurrie believes the minutes represent a true and accurate record of our meeting; please indicate if you disagree. (CDot)
- Review incomplete actions
- Status of (bank, paypal) accounts (Oliver)
- Status of legal registrations (new board members etc) (Oliver)
- Task team reviews - progress (Sven)
- Mailing list (Sven)
- Sven has abandoned this idea as its not compatible with the privacy and open-ness of the group at this time.
- Protecting the brand
- Trademark usage policy, see FoswikiTrademark
- CrawfordCurrie proposes that we develop a derivative the linux process http://www.linuxmark.org/faq.php
- If you don't agree, please have clear reasons
- Sven agrees with the linuxmark idea, but wishs to re-iterate that that does not quite apply to foswikisupport.com, unless the example site tries to suggest it comes /from/ foswiki (ie, the linuxmark allows non-trademark uses of linux, and defines 'traemark use' as a trademark is a name used in public to identify the source of specific goods and services), and thus I don't think linuxmark goes quite far enough - the drupal and debian ones feel to me to be much more in line with the reations I got.
- Logo design and selection process
- CrawfordCurrie proposes that we have a time-bound, online, vote driven process, and that we do not employ anyone.
- MichaelDaum does not agree. All proposals so far lack design skills. While it is fun to mock up some ideas, finishing a real logo needs a more serious attempt.
- Release 1.0.9 to be released weekend of 16-17 of January.
- KennethLavrsen asks: Any activities we want to initiate with this or just normal quiet patch release?
- CrawfordCurrie recommends a quiet patch.
- Goals for 2010. The intention is to state some SMART goals that we can use to help advertise the level of activity in the project. Examples of possible goals are:
- Software quality:
- Measure unit test coverage, and address gaps shown up (CDot)
- Automate testing on X platforms (e.g. Y flavours of Linux, Win32, MacOS Snow Leopard) (CDot)
- Get the number of Normal bugs below 50 by April 2010 and keep it there. (Lavr)
- Get the number of bugs waiting for feedback below 20 by 2010 and keep it there. (Lavr)
- Usability and user experience:
- Release a new "usability driven" UI (CDot)
- Roadmap and release prospects:
- we need to provide a perspective for users and developers where the boat is floating to before a release happens
- Getting 1.1. released by end May 2010 with feature freeze end of March and release branched to Release01x01 and code frozen and of April. (Lavr)
- Public relation:
- events to keep an eye on, i.e. upcoming conferences, competitions, ...
- Foswiki sessions in 2 major conferences (CDot)
- MichaelDaum will be visiting CeBIT2010, WikiSym
- Activities of the Foswiki Association
- get it ready to receive (tax deductible) donations (Oliver)
- Marketing initiatives
- numbers: the activities on the project should be evaluated regularly and used for marketing purposes (ohloh, sourceforge, checkins, downloads, size of community on foswiki.org, estimate of the user base, ...)
- summits: when do we plan the next foswiki summit and general assembly. better start planning early.
- news articles:
- on the foswiki blog: at least one blog post per week on our own blog, all year (CDot)
- Foswiki related articles in 2 print magazines (Oliver)
- contact 3rd party online news sites
- merchandising: t-shirts, mugs etc to wear and offer on conferences and summits
- Reviewing current task teams (Sven)
- CrawfordCurrie notes that he made a first pass over the task team pages. Limited response from team leaders.
- MichaelDaum proposes to give team leaders a second chance to respond but now with a definite timeline after which the team is considered abandoned and will be closed.
- SvenDowideit points out that early feedback suggests to me that the christmas break is a bad time to ask for feedback - people are busy, or away. I don't think pushing people away with threats and demands will get more done.
- foswiki.org: what's the status quo of the homepage redesign initiative? I had the impression the current version is only an interim solution. Now things got staled at that frontier.
- Date of next meeting
Chair: Main...., Minutes: Main....
Please strike out completed actions and add a link to any relevant discussions or other info
All votes were unaninous unless documented otherwise.
Date of next meeting
Next meeting will be 2010-02-15, 6:30 GMT, via skype or conf bridge
- last minutes accepted by all
- Oliver still working on banking and legal stuff. correspondence going on. ACTION: Oliver, please add details on status
- Sven carries on with trademark action; CDot will join kicking some people for feedback
- no mailing list for board right now. old core ml did create nastiness.
- brand: CDot discovered the linux process; look into adoption for foswiki; Sven: is it laxer than what has been expressed so far; Kenneth: we are not a commercial company, does not see a problem if there was a hamburger called foswiki; CDot: foswiki being used nominative here; Sven + CDot: discussing the difference to drupal; Oliver + all: don't have the resources to protect the trademark; CDot: interest of the project not to prosecute usage of foswiki; Kenneth: e.g. do we issue a license if someone creates a foswiki t-shirt. does not want to administrate licenses. Sven: points at debian (ACTION: Sven, please explain offline); CDot: constructive process, dont go further than trademark registration; simple principles;
- logo: process and design - CDot: proposes - no prof designer, fine bounded group to vote on. Michael: community not ready for prof designer. CDot: board needs to set up a process. Sven: a logo competition; CDot: process needs seeding with ideas, people pump ideas into the process, let's not close it to Arthur alone. Sven: get people start using things; Michael: series of voting to narrow down. proposes a task team for logo with one person leading the team. Sven: we don't need a new logo that urgent, CDot, Sven: process - wait and see. Kenneth: give Arthur the task to design the logo if he wants to. people provide input within a timelimit. CDot: speculation as Arthur hasnt been approached by the board yet. ACTION: CDot will approach Arthur and propose what we just discussed
- big thanks for release 1.0.9 - Kenneth: none of the marketing picked it up
- goals for 2010, Kenneth: scope and dates on releases in 2010; marketing takes it and "sell it". CDot: proposes to narrow down the list to three main areas/messages; Michael: what goes does the association have for 2010, what and how can we collect and spent money; Sven: problem of language; Kenneth: this is corporate language; Sven: should be rephrased more open-source-ish. CDot: ... more aspirations like. Agree: lets rewrite to get people interested
- reviewing task teams: Sven will do next week, more on next meeting ACTION: Michael will contact Carlo + Arthur about the homepage redesign task (ongoing discussion); Kenneth: the UX team might need of people to do the dev; ACTION: for all board members: push task teams you are part of.
- Date of next meeting: 2010-02-15