Tonight I have released the new and improved Kino Search extensions for Foswiki.
is a Perl port of the Lucene
indexed based search engine from Apache. It provides a very fast full text search across large amounts of data, plus the ability to use Google style operators.
The Foswiki implementation is made up of the KinoSearchContrib
and the KinoSearchPlugin
. Not only does this provide indexed search for topics, it also has the ability to index a number of attachments, including MS Office 2003 and 2007 documents and PDF’s.
is the workhorse, providing the indexer and a script for the searching. The KinoSearchPlugin
is a thin wrapper around it that hooks into Foswiki to provide a
macro and support for indexing on immediately when a topic has been saved.
There are a number of improvements over the previous version of Kino Search for Foswiki, including:
- Fast CGI and mod_perl support
- Indexing MS Office 2007 files
- Much more resilient indexing
- In particular when indexing password protected files or when an incorrect file type is supplied (such as attaching a image and calling it myfile.txt)
- Using more of the official Foswiki API
- Improved documentation and templates
If your Foswiki install has grown to a size where the performance of the default search is starting to suffer then you will need this extension. Of course smaller wikis will also benefit from the attachment search.
· 112 weeks ago
coria · 110 weeks ago
great work folks!
Leave your comment